Introducing the Raspberry Pi Zero W
Today rumours of a new Raspberry Pi model surfaced on Twitter. The new model is being referred to as the “Pi Zero W”. The new model is identical to the previous Pi Zero model but now features on-board wireless.
The Pi Zero boasts some impressive specifications :
- Broadcom BCM2835 application processor
- 1GHz ARM11 core (40% faster than Raspberry Pi 1)
- 512MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM
- A micro-SD card slot
- A mini-HDMI socket for 1080p60 video output
- Micro-USB sockets for data and power
- CSI camera connector
- Un-populated composite video header
- Un-populated 40-pin GPIO header (same pinout as Model A+/B+/2B/3B)
- 2.4GHz 802.11n Wi-Fi
The 40 pin GPIO header is the same as on previous models and is un-populated so you will need to solder on a suitable header if required. The mini-HDMI port may require an adaptor if you wish to use a standard HDMI cable. Most sellers are offering a kit of cables, adaptors and headers to get you started if you don’t already have suitable items in your toolbox.
- Dimensions : 65mm x 30mm x 5mm
- Weight : 9g
The Pi Zero is half the size of the A+. The top two holes are in the same positions.